Rufflets Access Statement
At Rufflets St Andrews, we aim to ensure that all our guests enjoy comfortable facilities and are made to feel welcome. We aim to ensure that all guests, employees, and others who use, or assist in, the provision of our services are treated equally and according to their needs.
We have developed this access statement not only to address some of the more common issues that disabled people face but it is intended to provide practical additional information for all guests who wish to stay at the hotel or use its facilities.
We request that, when making an enquiry or booking, customers inform us of any special needs or disabilities that they may have in order for us to meet any personal requirements.
Rufflets is 5 minutes by car to the town of St Andrews. We have 23 en suite bedrooms – 13 on the first floor and 6 on the second floor all accessed by stairs. We also have 2 bedrooms on the ground floor Gatehouse and 2 rooms in Rufflets Lodge. The public rooms, the Dining Room, Library and Drawing Room are all on the Ground Floor. The bar is on the ground floor and has 2 steps down to access.
- You can contact us via telephone, fax, email or post
- The Hotel has a website describing our services and terms and an illustrated brochure
- The Hotel is situated to the west of the town of St Andrews
- There is no village shop or pub – the closest is in St Andrews (about 2 miles)
- The nearest pharmacy and doctor’s surgery is in St Andrews (about 2 miles)
- Due to our remote location there is limited public transport – a car is the most practical transport
- The nearest train station is at Leuchars (about 7 miles)
- Stagecoach buses Edinburgh, Glasgow and other locations stop in St Andrews (about 2 miles)
- There is no bus stop at the property however buses passing on route to St Andrews will stop
- There are a number of local taxi companies and we are happy to provide details on request
- There are directions to find us detailed on our website
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- The tarmac drive slopes gently down to the private car park which is free of charge to guests
- Parking spaces are marked with white marker lines
- The car park surface is flat and has a tarmac surface. It is lit at night and there are security lights
- We have onsite disabled parking bays and designated drop off area at front entrance
- The front entrance has no steps. The front door can be opened wide if required to facilitate entry to the building
- We offer assistance with luggage if required
Main Entrance & Reception
- Reception is open between 07.00hrs and 23.00 hrs
- Out with these hours a Night Porter is available
- The front and back doors both lead to Reception, Library, Drawing Room and Dining Room, all of which are on the ground floor
- The floor is level and carpeted or tiled throughout
- The Reception desk is 1.2m high. There is seating adjacent to the Reception desk so check in can be carried out seated if required
- Our corridors are well lit and carpeted
- The Restaurant and Sitting rooms are accessible on one level and also carpeted
- We do not have a lift to the first/second floor
- There are public male and female WC on the ground floor with no steps and a large cubicle with grab rails
- The fire alarm system is sonic and does not have flashing lights
- Assistance will be given if evacuation is necessary
- The Gardens are accessible via the West Lawn
Dining Room, Library, & Drawing Room
- All bar drinks are served in the public rooms with full waiter service
- Moveable seating throughout
- Most dining chairs are without arms although chairs with arms are available
- There is low background music in the Restaurant and Bar areas
- Full waiter service
- The Drawing Room is made up of large armchairs and sofas with low level, small coffee tables
- There are 2 steps down to the bar however waiter service is in operation
- 13 Bedrooms on the first floor accessible only by stairs
- 6 Bedrooms on the second floor accessible only by stairs
- 2 Bedrooms on the ground floor in The Gate House
- 2 Bedrooms on the ground floor in Rufflets Lodge
- Room 1 in the Gatehouse was fully re-modelled and refurbished in 2017 to provide up to date facilities for guests who require more accessible accommodation. This Suite has a well-appointed sitting room (with sofa-bed option) and a king-sized twin / double bedroom. The bathroom has a ‘wet room’ shower, a double-ended bath as well as the addition of grab rails in necessary places.
- All rooms are varied in their make up of Baths and/or Showers
- The Garden Suite in on ground level and has both stairs and a ramp for access
- The Garden Suite has automatic door at exterior entrance
- Internal double doors from long gallery into main function suite
- Male and Female WC on ground level
- Separate Disabled WC on ground level
- Flat external access to exterior terrace from main suite
As a 4 star hotel we are committed to providing an exceptional level of customer service. Whilst the physical limitations of the existing building may impose some constraints on what the Hotel is able to do, we fully intend to comply with current regulations and good practice. Unfortunately the nature of the building means it is impossible to make access to upper floor bedrooms accessible without stairs.
If you require any further information relating to accessibility of the Hotel, please do not hesitate to contact us by phone, on: 01334 472594 or email: email@example.com or of course in person and we will do our best to help. We look forward to welcoming you.